The monument at Antietam to the 14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment is about 90 yards north of Bloody Lane. It was dedicated on October 8, 1894. (39.47199° N, 77.739907°; see map )
The 14th Connecticut was commanded at Antietam by Lt. Colonel Sanford H. Perkins. During the war it suffered the highest casualties of any Connecticut regiment. It is also honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
From the monument:
2nd Brig. 3rd Div. 2nd A.C.
Advanced to this point in a charge about 9:30 A.M., September 17th, 1862, then fell back eighty-eight yards to a cornfield fence and held position heavily engaged nearly two hours; then was sent to the support of the first brigade of its division at the Roulette Lane two hours; then was sent to the extreme left of the first division of this Corps to the support of Brooke's Brigade and at 5 P.M. was placed in support between the Brigades of Caldwell and Meagher of that Division, overlooking "Bloody Lane", holding position there until 10 A.M. of the 18th when relieved.
This monument stands on the line of Companies B and G near the left of the Regiment. In this battle the Regiment lost 38 killed and mortally wounded, 88 wounded and 21 reported missing.
Regiment mustered August 23, 1862 with 1015 men Recruits 697 men, total 1712
Battle record from Antietam to Appomattox
Killed and mortally wounded 202
Died of disease 186
Discharged for disability 319
Erected by the State of Connecticut 1894