Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

Kanawha Division, Ninth Army Corps

The marker for the Kanawha Division of the Ninth Army Corps is on the east side of Branch Avenue near Burnside Bridge Road.

 

 

From the marker:

 

U.S.A.

Kanawha Division, Ninth Corps

Col. E. P. Scammon, 23rd Ohio Infantry, Commanding.

September 16-17, 1862.

 

On the evening of September 16th, the Kanawha Division was on the ridge east of the Antietam; Crook's Brigade north of the Burnside Bridge, Ewing's Brigade southeast of it. On the morning of the 17th, Crook's Brigade preceded by the 11th Connecticut of Harland's Brigade, Rodman's Division, attempted to carry the Burnside Bridge but failed. About 2 P.M. Crook crossed the bridge and formed in support of Sturgis' Division, which position he retained after Willcox relieved Sturgis. Ewing's Brigade crossed the Antietam at Snavely's Ford and moved in support of Rodman's Division. The Division reached the line of the stone fence along this road, its right at this point, its left 535 yards southwest.

 

It checked temporarily the advance of A.P. Hill's Division but, its left having been turned, was compelled to retire to the shelter of the ridge east of this.

 

No. 59.

 

 

< lastUnion markers next >

Kanawha Division, Ninth Army Corps