The Philadelphia Brigade Monument at Antietam is in Philadelphia Brigade Park west of the Hagerstown Turnpike. (39.478463° N, 77.749215° W; see map)
It was dedicated on September 17, 1896.
The Philadelphia Brigade was the only brigade in the Union Army named after a city. It was commanded at Antietam by Brigadier General Oliver O. Howard until he took over division command from the wounded General Sedgwick. Colonel Joshua T. Owen of the 69th Pennsylvania then took over command of the brigade.
The 71st Pennsylvania was commanded by Colonel Isaac Wistar until he was wounded; Captain Richard P. Smith assumed command until he, too was wounded, and finally Captain Enoch E. Lewis took over. The 72nd Pennsylvania was commanded by Colonel DeWitt C. Baxter, and the 106th by Colonel Turner G. Morehead.
From around the base of the monument:
Army of the Potomac
From the west face:
69th - 71st - 72nd - 106th
From the north face:
was mustered into the
U.S. Service in 1861
under the first call for
300,000 three year volunteers
Total enrollment 1861 - 1865
From the south face:
took part in the operations
battles and skirmishes
of the Army of the Potomac
from Balls Bluff to Appomattox
during term of service 1861 - 1865
Total Loss 3409 men
From the east face:
September 17, 1862
Loss - 545 men
The 69th, 71st, 72nd and 106th Pennsylvania are also honored with individual monuments at Gettysburg.
See more on the 69th Pennsylvania in the Civil War
See more on the 71st Pennsylvania in the Civil War
See more on the 72nd Pennsylvania in the Civil War
See more on the 106th Pennsylvania in the Civil War